After my awesome baby shower Saturday, I ended up back in the hospital from pain again. I was on morphine for 4 hours and then came home. Then we found out that insurance won't cover my urologist because he's out of network. So, today I saw a new urologist at Methodist hospital. We wanted to get a 2nd opinion anyway, so this was a good thing.
This new doctor is still thinking that I have a kidney stone, even though the other urologist and my OB had ruled it out based on x-rays and ultrasounds. Because I am having so much pain from the stent that has been in for 5 weeks, my new doctor is pretty concerned. His plan is to get me in for surgery either this Friday or next Monday and remove the stent. He plans to do a ureteroscopy, which means look through my ureter with a telescope. If he finds a stone, he'll remove it. If he doesn't find a stone, he still wants to leave the stent out for a while and see how I do.
Dr. Lingeman has just recently published a paper on ureteroscopy in pregnant women, so I feel confident that he knows what is best. At least by next week, I'll know for sure whether there is or isn't a stone. Either way, I'm hoping that the surgery will result in less pain for me. It's been getting unbearable even with narcotics. Hopefully this will all be a distant memory soon.
For those people who want more detail on what stent looks like, I found a picture online at the website which I listed below. The urologist explained that it's like a plastic straw connecting my kidney and bladder. Kinda gross. I never really wanted to know this much about my body.
http://sjtest.biznetis.net/StaywellTesting/img.aspx?89437
Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am so glad you found a new doctor. Especially one that is so knowledgeable on the subject!
You are on my mind and in my prayers every day.
Love ya, Sis!
Post a Comment